Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Engine work

Well the bike ran before I started out but I figured I needed to refresh it as it seemed low on compression. I rode it to my regular bike shop and told him to take a look. Well the piston was worn but worse was the con-rod had some play in it.

I left the bike there and told him to get on with it.

A week later I got a call to collect the bike. The shop had changed the con-rod and main bearings but was unable to find a replacement piston/ring set (this bike lives in Port DIckson Malaysia so it's not easy to get parts)  so he re-installed the old piston. The bike runs better but compression is still poor and as a result its hard to get a decent idle and it starts poorly.

I checked at a few shops in Kuala Lumpur (the capital of Malaysia) and one guy had a used freshly re-bored cylinder with a 1.75 oversize piston. Well this was a step in the right direction so I bought it.



Its not too difficult to do a top-end swap on these bike so I did it at home. All went well until I started to tighten the exhaust bolts.... yep one of them had slipped.

I took the cylinder block off again and installed a helicoil. I also installed a new original carburetor (NOS) which my buddy Kalai located in Muar, Johor.

Put everything back together kicked it a few times and .. hey it runs! Sounds way healthier than before! Idles real well too!



No comments:

Post a Comment