Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Buying the FR80 and strip down.

Sometime in July 2016 I bought this FR80 which was sitting unloved outside a bike shop in Port Dickson. The seller (the owner of the shop actually) wanted MYR300 which I thought was high but he claimed that the bike was running. I told him that if he got the bike running, fitted new tubes all round and rode it to my home I would buy it for MYR300.

The bike had been sitting outside for a few months and maybe years! and I found it hard to believe that the little thing could even start! Well the engine hadn't jammed solid and after cleaning the carburetor and fitting a new plug it started up on the third or fourth kick! So now I had to buy it! The seller also threw in a new front fender, he probably couldn't believe that someone would actually buy this!

I don't have a photo of the bike as I bought it, this is probably the first picture I have... probably the enthusiasm has died down and I was in the 'what the hell have I done' phase!

A good clean.



 Some pictures to help with the re-assembly!






Bare chassis... forks still fitted here.. in the middle of being cleaned. There was a lot of old oil and dirt in the middle of the frame where the footrest, stand and engine mounts are. I gave up and took it to a car-wash and got him to use the water jet to get everything clean!

 Here it has dried and I am applying some paint to the bare metal to slow the rusting! Forks are off at this stage.


The area of the body which forms the inner mudguard has some rust. This will need to be fixed before painting.

Need to clean these off...
 











Even after cleaning it still doesn't look good as the chrome has succumbed to rust.

Among the stuff which needed to be replaced was...
  • Legshield.. the plastic was brittle and powdery.
  • Seats - the metal base was all rotten.
  • Misc plastic parts - eg the handle cowls
  • Wiring was barely holding together.
  • all lamps.
  • spokes and rims

Anil

No comments:

Post a Comment